Recently my home and everything in it was completely destroyed by a fire as a result of an electrical failure. I informed my RVP who immediately reached out to the Share Fund to submit a grant request on my behalf. My family and I were completely devastated and having a very difficult time dealing with the sudden shock of, just like that, not having our home. My kids were in tears, and it was so hard to try and focus or think about facing what was in front of us. The Share Fund quickly reached out and was able to help support my family and get us situated so I could begin to figure everything else out. I'm so very thankful and will continue to support the Share Fund, we just never know who could be in need tomorrow. Thank you, Share Fund, for having such a wonderful program for our Staples US family."
Tom Pagan, GM in Store #544 Warrington, PA, was recently assisted by the US Retail Share Fund.
On July 16th, Bucks County PA experienced heavy rains that caused flash flooding. Flood waters ravaged this area causing heartbreaking damage. Tom’s house was affected by this flooding.
The Share Fund was able to assist Tom with a grant that enabled him to start to make his home safe again and usable for him and his family.”
GM, Store #544. Warrington, PA
Lee Zola, GM in Store #342 West Chester, PA, was recently assisted by the US Retail Share Fund.
In early September, the remnants of Hurricane Ida produced heavy rainfall and severe flooding throughout PA. Flood waters ravaged this area causing heartbreaking damage. Lee’s house was affected by this flooding.
The Share Fund was able to assist Lee with a grant that enabled him to start to recover from this storm and make his home safe again and usable for him and his family.”
GM, Store #342. West Chester, PA
One of our associates had been in the foster system for the first 18 years of his life. When he turned 18, his guardian stopped receiving gov’t assistance, kicked the associate out of his home and said he would no longer provide shelter or support for him.
The associate was able to stay with a friend as he worked to save money for an apartment. Unfortunately, the friend unexpectedly passed away before the associate saved enough money to get into an apartment. At the same time, the associate got COVID-19 and was out of work while he recovered.
Without a place to live and unable to pay his bills, the associate was faced with housing instability. The Share Fund was able to assist the associate who said:
I would like to give the Staples Share Fund a huge thank you for assisting me through this difficult moment & time. I have been through this predicament growing up as child in the system, knowing what it feels like to be without and having no one to go to, but receiving assistance from Staples not only helped my situation, but it also helped me to believe all things are still possible for my journey.”
In the early morning hours on Dec. 16th, 2021, as our associate and his family were sleeping, they suddenly woke up to hear gun shots being fired into their home. The associate's father was hit by the bullets and heartbreakingly, passed away.
The associate and his family hid in the basement and called the police. When it was realized the family was not the intended target, the police suggested the family leave their home and relocate to another state for their safety until they could find out who was responsible.
The associate and his brothers quickly left their home and relocated from Detroit to Tennessee. With the passing of their father and having to leave so sudden, the Share Fund was able to assist the associate to pay past due rent and utility bills back home. He said:
Thank you so much for your consideration and help while my family moves forward from this. I don't know what else to say but thank you again to everyone at the Share Fund as well as Taylor, Sandy and Nicole from store 0448 who told me help was even available. May God bless you.”
Kurt Gusovius, was recently assisted by the US Retail Share Fund.
The apartment above Kurt’s caught on fire which caused the 3rd floor to collapse into his apartment. The damage from the fire and water destroyed his home and all his belongings.
Thankfully, Kurt was not hurt. He was able to use the Share Fund grant to secure a new apartment. He was also able to purchase necessary items to get him back on his feet.
Kurt’s GM, Michael Cale (who submitted the grant request on Kurt’s behalf), shared this picture of Kurt proudly holding the keys to his new apartment and mentioned how he appreciated everyone’s involvement in being able to secure these funds for Kurt.”
Inventory Specialist, Store #84. Philadelphia, PA
Late one evening, William Eaton, received a tornado warning on his phone. William and his wife quickly gathered their 4 sleeping children and put them under the bathroom vanity, covered them with their bodies and covered themselves with a large foam couch. They knew this wasn’t a drill when the lights flickered off, their ears popped from the pressure and what followed can only be described as pure chaos.
When the tornado passed, William went out to assess the damage. What he saw was a sight he was not prepared for. Half of their house had been completely ripped off and the other half was relatively untouched but covered with debris from the tornado.
William’s Staples family immediately worked on getting William’s family to safety. They had to park a mile away and walk around fallen trees and power lines and through piles of debris. A fellow GM welcomed William’s family into their home. The following week, a group of Staples volunteers helped pack up what was left of their home.
A special shout out to Mandy Richardson (DM), fellow GMs Brian Fedak, Kyle Clements and Shawn Skelly, William’s Store Team #734, Amy Sprang, R10 Staff and entire District 105 Team who immediately supported William and his family through this traumatic event.”
GM, Store #734. Athens, TN
For Elsa, finding out she was sick was devastating. There was no way to be prepared. “It has been tough not feeling well and having payments such as mortgage, utilities along with taking care of my children. When I received the grant, I was overwhelmed with emotion.”
Sales Manager, Store #1086. Brownsville, TX
Casey recalls the heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach upon hearing the devastating news that he and his mom had to evacuate immediately due to the wildfires. Unfortunately, they lost their happy home to the fires.
Through this experience I have found strength in my work at Staples. Keeping my daily routine has been the saving grace in this tragedy. Everyone has been so understanding and supportive. Having lost everything I’ve ever owned, I am very grateful that my Mom and our pets are safe.”
Tech Sales Associate, Store #720. Roseburg, OR